Matt Conn’s practice primarily involves the representation of businesses and individuals in a variety of civil matters in state and federal courts. Matt has experience in environmental litigation, mass torts, class actions and business disputes. Matt also has extensive experience in multi-party complex environmental litigation and environmental pollution cases. Matt has litigated some of the largest pollution cases in U.S. history, including the TVA Kingston Coal Ash Spill and the BP Oil Spill. Most recently, Matt represented the City of Rome, Georgia in a PFAS pollution case.
Matt has been admitted to practice on a pro hac basis in the states of Georgia, Louisiana, North Carolina and Tennessee and has litigated cases in California and South Carolina. Matt has also practiced in front of the Judicial Panel for Multi-District Litigation (JPML) and represented clients in Multi-District Litigation proceedings in numerous states, including Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee and Texas.
- Alabama State Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
News, Honors & Awards
- Named “Rising Star” for Civil Litigation by Super Lawyers Magazine, Mid-South Region, 2016-2019
- Named “Rising Star” for Civil Litigation by Super Lawyers Magazine, Alabama, 2014-2015
- Named to B-Metro Magazine’s “Top Flight Lawyers”, 2016-2021
- Named to B-Metro Magazine’s “Stars of the Bar”
- AV Rated as “Preeminent” by Martindale Hubble
- Rated as “Excellent” by AVVO
Notable Cases and
- Served as co-lead counsel for businesses and individuals harmed by the largest environmental spill (by volume) in U.S. history and received a liability decision against the Tennessee Valley Authority after a six and a half week trial. The Court found TVA liable for its December 22, 2008 Coal Ash Spill Disaster, despite TVA’s argument that it was protected by governmental immunity. The case is reported as: In re TENNESSEE VALLEY AUTHORITY ASH SPILL LITIGATION, 2012 WL 3647704 (E.D. Tenn.).
- Represents businesses and individuals for economic losses sustained in the worst oil spill in U.S. history.
- Represented the City of Key West, Florida, for economic losses caused by pollution from an environmental oil spill.
- Represented retired NFL players for numerous claims against their former teams and the National Football League, including brain injuries and orthopedic injuries.
- Represented trucking companies in Multi-District Litigation against a major gasoline supplier for breach of contract and fraudulent conduct.
- Defended a variety of civil matters for various industries and clients.
- Represented blasting contractors for a variety of civil litigation matters.
Matt is married to Elizabeth Conn and is the proud father of their three sons, David, James and Owen.