Dan Pickett’s civil litigation practice involves the representation of clients in personal injury, construction, products liability, and premises liability matters. Dan regularly defends trucking companies and drivers, product distributors and manufacturers in personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits. Dan advises and represents insurance carriers in coverage matters. Additionally, Dan represents underground and surface mining companies in a variety of litigation. Dan has a broad range of experience in representing municipalities, public officials, and general contractors in complex litigation in state and federal courts for the past 20 years.
In his insurance practice, Dan counsels insurance companies regarding coverage matters, claims handling procedures and contractual obligations. He focuses on defending insurance companies in bad faith and coverage litigation, as well as prosecuting declaratory judgment actions. He has experience with many insurance products, including commercial, personal, auto, and property insurance policies.
Dan is admitted to practice in all state and federal courts in Alabama, as well as the United States District Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. Dan is also a registered mediator with the Alabama Center for Dispute Resolution.
- Alabama State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association: Chairman, Scholarship Committee; Member, Entertainment and Grievance Committees
News, Honors & Awards
- Rated AV Preeminent™ by the Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- Named “Rising Star” for Civil Litigation by Super Lawyers Magazine, Alabama, 2013-2018
- Member, Henry Upson Simms Moot Court Board
- B-Metro Magazine Top Flight Lawyers
- Member, Phi Kappa Phi, legal scholarship fraternity
Notable Cases and
- Dan recently obtained summary judgment for a commercial waste hauler on nuisance claims related to the operation of a waste transfer station in south Alabama and prevailed on appeal of the case to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Dan obtained summary judgment for an individual on claims of racial discrimination and racketeering regarding the operation of a wood chip mill.
- Dan successfully defended a local non-profit organization at trial against plaintiff’s worker’s compensation claim. Following the trial, the court found Plaintiff only had a minimal vocational impairment, which greatly reduced plaintiff’s recovery.
- Dan defended a driver in a motor vehicle accident case in which plaintiff asserted negligence and wantonness claims as a result of an accident in Bessemer, Alabama. After conducting discovery, Dan succeeded in obtaining an order of dismissal from the trial court.
- Dan defended an insurance carrier against plaintiffs’ claims for uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage arising from an automobile accident that occurred in Walker County. Mr. Pickett was successful in obtaining dismissal of the claims against the carrier.
- Dan represented a driver in an automobile accident in which it was alleged that the driver caused the death of two minors and injuries to two other occupants of a vehicle in Tuscaloosa County and was able to reach a successful resolution of the claim after discovery.
- Dan represented a coal miner in a mining and blasting case which initially involved 33 plaintiffs and 21 properties. Dan was successful in reducing the case to 20 plaintiffs and 13 properties, thereby minimizing the exposure of his client.
- Dan defended an Alabama city and several city officials against plaintiffs’ Fourth Amendment unlawful arrest and related claims based on the operation of its municipal court. After obtaining dismissal of several of plaintiffs’ claims, Dan was able to resolve this case.
- Dan defended an Alabama city and numerous city officials against plaintiff’s Fourteenth Amendment due process claims regarding the operation of the city’s municipal court. Dan obtained dismissal of claims against the mayor, municipal court judge, city prosecutor and chief of police.
- Dan defended a distributor of an aircraft maintenance device against plaintiff’s product defect and wrongful death claims based on an accident that resulted in the death of an aircraft mechanic.
- Dan represented a franchisee of a nationwide fast-food restaurant in a slip and fall case wherein the plaintiff alleged she fell on water located in a restroom. Dan was successful in obtaining summary judgment for the restaurant based on its lack of notice and the open and obviousness of the water.
Dan was born in Fort Bragg, North Carolina and attended Wake Forest University before moving to Alabama to attend Cumberland School of Law. Dan is married to Jennie Pickett and is the proud father of a son and a daughter. Dan is an Assistant Scoutmaster at Troop 320 in Mountain Brook, Alabama and loves the outdoors. Dan serves as the Moderator and as a Deacon at Mountain Brook Baptist Church. In his free time, Dan enjoys playing golf and going to concerts.